[3nd update courtesy of box office mojo]
[updated: Hanna moves to 4th and Insidious falls to 7th which means I get all 7 correct! Woohoo! Let’s celebrate!]
Here are the box office results for the week with some editorial on the side. The estimates are courtesy of deadline while the final numbers are provided by box office mojo. It was expected that this week would be up from the same weekend last year. It is, though it’s not as big as people (including me) had expected, and it could be blamed on a particular movie opening today. Let’s see the numbers.
Number One Movie Predicted Correctly: 3 Weeks in a Row
Number of Times I Nailed the Top 7: 1
1. RIO – sitting at the top spot domestically and overseas is this animated feature. It has a respectable 71% Fresh rating at Rottentomatoes, and if you haven’t checked my review yet, I said that it wasn’t bad either. It’s a colorful movie perfect for the whole family.
Predicted Outcome: Rank 1, $45.0M
Actual Gross: $39.2M
Total Gross: $39.2M
2. SCREAM 4 – I knew I shouldn’t have been too bullish with this one. This is a sequel to a movie last shown in theaters in the late 90’s. It’s only normal for a movie to lose some steam, right? Well, it’s too bad I followed suit with the $40M predictions of other people. Due to the under-performance of this film, the week didn’t turn out to be as BIG as expected. Not to mention it earned less than half of my prediction!
Predicted Outcome: Rank 2, $40.5M
Actual Gross: $18.7M
Total Gross: $18.7M
3. Hop – Hop will jump back next week when Easter arrives, but even without the help this film could already be considered as a success. I won’t be surprised if in a couple of weeks this film will end up in the top 5 highest grossing movies of 2011. But it won’t stay there long. Wait until summer comes….you’ll know why
Predicted Outcome: Rank 3, $11.8M
Actual Gross: $10.7M
Total Gross: $82.6M
4. Hanna – I’ve only seen one poster so far in one of our local movie theaters, so I guess I won’t be joined by droves of people when I catch this one soon. I just hope I’ll like it so that I could recommend the movie to you guys. I don’t want this one to earn as low as Scott Pilgrim or Kick-Ass. Those movies ended up being loved by many, but became a box-office dud because the majority of the people who watched it downloaded it illegally.
Predicted Outcome: Rank 4, $7.6M
Actual Gross: $7.3M
Total Gross: $23.3M
5. Soul Surfer – Had this movie dropped by at least $0.4M more I would’ve nailed the top 5 correctly. [update: it did, so I actually nailed it] Soul Surfer had a big help with that A+ cinemascore viewers gave the movie in its first weekend. Even so, I won’t be waiting in line to catch that movie anytime soon. In fact, I’d rather watch…
Predicted Outcome: Rank 5, $6.3M
Actual Gross: $7.3M
Total Gross: $20.0M
6. Arthur – And I actually thought this movie was gonna bleed this week. Actually, I overestimated Scream 4 while underestimating the rest in the top 7. Once again I’m 3 for 7 and is waiting for a miracle to happen when the final results are out in [update: I nailed it all! A miracle happened and I got 7 of 7! Woohoo!], I just hope 2011 can catch up from the big gap, or else there would be a whole lot less movies in the theaters in the future, coupled with premium 3D prices.
Predicted Outcome: Rank 6, $6.2M
Actual Gross: $6.7M
Total Gross: $22.4M
7. Insidious – Much like Soul Surfer, I didn’t expect this movie to hold up well. I personally thought that horror lovers preferred Scream 4 more than this one, which has already been out for 3 weeks. I guess people just want something good and original, eh? Oh, and numbers 6 and 7 had a photo-finish. Whew! I got it all but that was a close one!
Predicted Outcome: Rank 7, $5.4M
Actual Gross: $6.7M
Total Gross: $36.0M
Total Score: 7 out of 7, with a variance of $4.54285M per prediction.